No on Prop 8

One of my students, who rarely does any work, or moves any brain cells or grows any dendrites, has been totally engrossed in a project as of late.  She is organizing her classmates in support of the Day of Silence to protest Proposition 8.  When I asked her what exactly she was making a poster for and collecting signatures about, she clammed up and said "Ooooh 8 is nothing, its in support of November 8th in California."  Ummm that doesn't make sense.   So she finally said, It's in support of gay marriage.  I said oh okay, carry on.  

She has 40 signatures now, and in the midst of all of my frustration about Prop 8 in Cali and the homophobic idiots I encounter every single day down here in the Bible Belt, maybe a Bible verse is speaking the truth:  And a little child shall lead them. Isaiah 11:6 

So that was a little silver lining, and it definitely makes me hopeful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment