Why I Run...

I throw on my workout clothes, lace up my shoes and head out.. I do it quickly because nothing in me feels like running. It's been a long day- the kids were crazy, i didnt get a good night sleep. I didn't eat enough.. and all I want is to lay on the couch and have a drink.. but my Blackberry reminded me 10 mins ago that it's time to run. Before I know it.. I'm grabbing my water and my ipod and headed to the gym.

I start with the first step and find myself unable to stop. I run because I can, but unlike so many of my ancestors, I don't have to. I run because I can feel my heart pumping hard, and I know that it is getting stronger every single day. Strong in the fight against the heart disease and stroke that took my father far too soon. When it starts to hurt I force myself to continue because no one thinks that black girls really run. They scoff at me in disbelief. But I run to be strong, I run to get hard. I run because with each step I am becoming more and more me.

I love myself when I run. I love what I am doing. I love where I am going. I love what I am accomplishing. I love love me.

3 comments:

identitycrisis said...

Thanks. I definitely needed to read this post. I'm looking for the motivation and drive to get back in the gym. I feel this way about a really tough cycling class. I get geeked up about running on the treadmill but it always gets the best of me. This made me want that feeling again. Back to the gym I go. After this snow storm, that is.

Eeyore said...

I am committing myself to remembering how great it feels when i work out.. so I don't not do it. i love it. I love the feeling of being active and feeling my muscles.. Im trying to do a new active thing each month to stimulate an active lifestyle. I want to cross finish line after finish line. Glad I could help! that reminder is soo necessary to me.

b.goody said...

Run Nigga Run.



LMAO

Post a Comment