Mufaro's Beautiful's Daughters


When I was a kid, we had nothing but Black books. I didn't think White folks existed except on TV (and at my gifted school, and church, and my mom's job, and downtown...) okay sooo they existed but not in the crib. One of my favorite books was Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John Steptoe. The book had girls in it named Nyoka and something else.. but they are different names like mine, they had braids and brown skin and I just loved loved loved the book. AND it had one of those gold seals on the front that lets you know a book is SOOOOO legit.

So I used to peruse this book daily and as I got older prolly a couple times and year and lo and behold, I know the woman who inspired the cover art for the book.

Check it out:

They are totally the same person.
Sooo Linzo. This one is for you :-) Tell me they arent the same... I dare you!
I bet you can't tell which one is the book and which one is my friend????

2 comments:

b.goody said...

That's SO Lindsay. I love it.

Melanie! said...

I LOVED THIS BOOK WHEN I WAS A KID!!

-MELANIE

Post a Comment